Corporate Social Responsibility Policy
Nuvoton Technology Corporation Japan has a management philosophy of "With new insight, stay close to people's living and address various social and industrial issues through our products and services beyond customers' expectations."
We will meet the expectations of market needs and stakeholders' expectations which make continuous changes in terms of human rights/labor, health and safety, environment, ethics and etc.
And to contribute to the development of a sustainable society, we will combine all kinds of our business activities with CSR, not only complying with all laws and regulations in the world but also taking into consideration of such things as global standards, norms, guidelines, and initiatives.
Then, in cooperation with the primary supplier, we will promote activities in the entire supply chain including temporary staffing companies, production contractors, business contractors, etc. (value chain).
As a guideline for concrete actions, we have established the "Code of Conduct of Nuvoton Technology Corporation Japan" as follows.
Code of Conduct of Nuvoton Technology Corporation Japan
Our company respects human dignity. We treat employees with respect and the principle of "Fairness, Impartiality, and Integrity" so that we become understood by the global society. This policy applies to all the employees (regular employees including managers, temporary workers, fixed-term employees, and other workers engaged in our business operations).
① Freedom of choice in employment
- We never engage in any labors that relates to forced labors including debt-bondage or involuntary labor (such as prison labors, slavery labors or human trafficking labors).
- We never impose punishment that could lead to forced labors.
- We never keep employees' passport, VISA, or other identification documents against their will.
- We never impose unreasonable restrictions on employees regarding going in and out of and moving inside of facilities given by the company.
- In case of the employment of foreign staff, we conclude the employment contracts including description of employment conditions in the form of documents written in their language before they leave for Japan, and also we never modify the contract unless the modified version will be equivalent or greater than the original one from the employees' viewpoints.
- As long as employees notify in advance in accordance with prescribed manner, we never preclude their resignation.
- We never let human resources agencies and recruit agencies collect commission charges from temporary or foreign workers.
② Consideration to young workers
- We never become engaged in child labor.
- We never make employees under 18 do heavy work or late-night work, and we also consider and support their educational opportunities.
- We manage student workers appropriately and never impose excessive or improper jobs.
③ Securing of appropriate working hours and holidays
- We target either stricter limit of 60 hours per week or of working hours stipulated in laws and regulations in respective regions, and make efforts to realize efficiency and shortening hours if actual working hours exceed the target.
- We provide an employee 1 day off or more per week.
- We provide an employee with annual paid leave in accordance with local laws and employment regulations.
- We never reject leave application form from employees for no justifiable reason.
- We pay wages and allowances to employees in the way that we comply with all the applicable laws and regulations regarding minimum wages, overtime allowance, or other legally required allowances stipulated in respective regions.
- We never cut employees' salary as a disciplinary punishment.
- We notify the details of salary payment in the form of document such as pay slips at the appropriate timing.
⑤ Humane treatment
- We never forgive any unpleasant inhumane acts and its possibility from the workplace that include sexual harassment, sexual assault, physical punishment, mental or physical suppression, or verbal abuse, and try hard to create fair and pleasant work environment.
- We establish disciplinary code against these cases and inform employees of it.
⑥ Prohibition of discrimination
- In labor management such as recruitment, wages, promotions, compensations, and offering benefits like seminars, we, taking into consideration of regional laws and regulations or labor customs, never discriminate people by their race, skin colors, age, gender, sexual preference, sexual identity, ethnic identity, nationality, disability, pregnancy, religion, political thinking, participation in labor union, hepatitis, infection of HIV or other viruses, experience of veteran, genetic information, and spouse.
- We never retire, dismiss, demote, or transfer employees to the position of lower salaries irrationally because of employees' situations such as sick leave, maternity leave, or other equivalent leaves related to occupational accidents.
- We do not perform medical or physical examinations that may be used for discriminatory purposes on employees or prospective employees.
⑦ Right of Association
- Taking the laws and labor practices of each country into account, we will respect the rights of forming and joining a labor union at respective employee's will for realizing collective bargaining and participating in peaceful assemblies, as well as the rights of refraining from such activities.
- We always make efforts to establish healthy relationship with employees and resolve problems through active and sincere dialogues.
（2）Health and Safety
We make efforts to secure safe and comfortable work environment taking into consideration of employees' health.
① Occupational safety
- We secure employees' safety by identifying, evaluating and managing occupational (potential) risks through appropriate designing, mechanical and managerial controls, prevention maintenance, training of safe working operations and its repetition.
- In accordance with related laws and regulations, we oblige employees to wear protective equipment which is appropriately designed.
- We treat pregnant employees, and employees feeding breast milk to their children with appropriate considerations.
② Preparation for emergency
- In preparation for emergency such as natural disasters and accidents, we identify possible risks, evaluate them, and make sure to get prepared so that we can minimize the impact on employees' life, environment, and assets through various kinds of measures such as creating action plans(describing procedures of report, notification, evacuation in emergency), education and training, appropriate installation of smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, mapping out of emergency countermeasure plans showing clear and easy evacuation routes without obstacles, as well as disaster recovery plans.
③ Occupational injuries and illness
- In order to prevent, control, trace and report occupational injuries and illness, we organize procedures and systems to deal with such things as classification and recording of cases, supply of necessary treatments, investigation and correctional measures, and implementing steps to facilitating business resumption.
④ Industrial hygiene
- We identify, evaluate, and control risks which has negative impact on employees chemically, biologically, and physically and manage them appropriately.
- In case that we recognize the risk which can't be dispelled by the above mentioned risk management, we mandate employees to wear the protective equipment which is properly designed, in accordance with related laws.
⑤ Consideration of physically demanding works
- We identify and evaluate physically demanding works such as treating raw materials by hands, lifting up of heavy staff and its repetition, long-hour standing work, excessive repetitive or hard physical tasks such as assembling, and properly control them so that these works wouldn't lead to work-related injuries or illness.
⑥ Safety measures for machine equipment
- We evaluate the possible safety hazard risk in using machine equipment, and implement and maintain appropriate safety measures (such as application of protective cover, interlock, or protective barrier, etc.).
⑦ Sanitation, Food, and Housing
- We offer clean toilet facilities, water, hygiene food and sanitary eating facilities.
- When offering company dormitories to regular employees, temporary workers, and contract workers, we make sure that the facilities are kept clean and safe, securing appropriate emergency exits, hot water for bathing and shower, appropriate temperature and ventilation, individually secured safety facilities for storing personal and valuable items, reasonable personal space along with freely entry and exit.
⑧ Health and Safety communication
- With regard to various types of potential workplace hazards to employees, we provide education and training on appropriate health and safety information, in a manner and languages that they can understand before the operation of the work, and also on the regular basis thereafter.
- We communicate health and safety-related information to employees by clearly posting it in the facilities or placing it in an accessible location.
⑨ Health management of employees
- We manage health conditions of all the employees in an appropriate manner.
We promise to become a company which continuously improve ourselves and achieve sustainable development, complying with environmental laws, regulations, and its global standards. And also, we make efforts to eliminate predictable environmental pollution risks through reduction of environmental impacts, reduction of pollution sources to protect the natural environment, and company-wide participation.
① Environmental permit and report
- We obtain and maintain all the permits, approvals and registrations necessary for operating business, and keep them up-to-date.
We also make registration and report in accordance with laws and regulations.
② Pollution prevention and resource reduction
- Through appropriate management, we promote reduce, reuse, and recycle, thereby ensuring effective utilization of resources, as well as minimizing pollutants and generation of waste.
③ Control of hazardous substances
- We identify, display, and manage chemicals and or other substances which pose hazardous risks to humans or environment, and make sure that these substances be controlled properly in terms of safe handling, movement, storage, use, recycle, reuse and disposal.
④ Solid wastes
- We tackle systematically to identify, manage, reduce, and responsibly dispose of or recycle solid wastes (excluding hazardous substances).
⑤ Air emissions
- In order to reduce the emission of hazardous substances into the atmosphere such as volatile organic chemicals, aerosol, corrosives, particulates, ozone depleting chemicals and combustive by-products generated from operations, we conduct necessary characteristic confirmation, monitoring, and treatment prior to discharging.
⑥ Materials restrictions
- We comply with all the laws and regulations and customers' requirements regarding prohibition or restriction of the use of specific substances contained in the products.
⑦ Water management
- We make efforts to save water by monitoring water source, use, and discharge.
- Before discharging or discarding all kinds of waste water, we identify the characteristics, monitor, control, and treat water as required.
- We also identify sources of pollution that may cause water pollution (flow into rainwater, etc.) and management appropriately.
⑧ Energy consumption and greenhouse gas emission
- We make efforts to improve energy efficiency, and get involved in continued emission control activities, such as minimizing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emission.
- We continuously manage and keep record of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emission.
We comply with laws, regulations, and ethics in all the occasions in our business activities, fulfill our task.
① Business Integrity
- We respect fair and free competition in all of our business, and prohibit any and all forms of bribery, corruption, extortion, and embezzlement.
② Elimination of unfair profit
- In order to obtain or retain business, or to gain unfair or undue profit, we do not provide profits that violate the law or social ethics, either directly or indirectly through a third party. In the same manner, we do not receive personal benefits from anyone.
③ Disclosure of Information
- We make efforts in disclosing information to the stakeholders in fair and accurate, understandable, appropriate and timely manner. The information includes financial situation and performance, business activities, organization structure, human rights and labor, health and safety, actions to environmental issues, and other corporate information.
④ Intellectual property rights
- We respect intellectual property rights owned by others, and strive to prevent or eliminate any infringements of our own rights.
- We establish the results of our R&D achievements as intellectual property rights, accumulating them, protect them actively, and fully utilize these rights.
⑤ Fair business activities, advertising, and competition
- In procurement of goods and service, we comply with laws and social norms. Also, we, based on our company's procurement standards for safety, quality, environment, price, lead time, etc., offer equal competition opportunities to global suppliers, and fairly evaluate and select them.
- We make efforts to enhance brand values through communication of fair and accurate information on products and technologies.
At the same time, we always listen to stakeholders, take their voice sincerely, and reflect them on our business activities.
- No matter how severe the competition may be, we comply with laws and regulations and put the highest priority on fair sales activities based on corporate ethics.
- We never pursue sales and profit against the laws or social ethics.
- We never engage in any illegal and unethical acts such as bribery, cartel, bid rigging, and controlling sales price toward business partners.
⑥ Establishment of mechanism in handling complaints, Identity protection, prohibition of retaliation
- In order to prevent misconducts in our company and the supply chain, we establish the mechanism of handling complaints (, that is, the system that allows people concerned to report the suspicious acts of violation, to make prompt correction) which are available to stakeholders including employees and suppliers.
- We never execute disadvantageous treatment such as canceling contract, dismissal, or demotion, etc. to suppliers and employees who made the report.
- We thoroughly manage information with ensured confidentiality of the reports and anonymity of the reporters.
- When a violation occurs, we promptly correct the situation, prevent relapse, as well as strictly confront the violation.
⑦ Responsible sourcing of Minerals
- We recognize the mineral* issue as a significant issue, which is the source of funding for organizations involved in risk or cheating, such as "Human rights abuses involving child labor", "harsh working environments", "environmental destruction", "corruption", etc., in countries located in conflict zones and the Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas (CAHRA). In order to fulfill our social responsibility in procurement activities, our policy is not to use minerals involved in unlawful activities as raw materials. (*tin, tantalum, tungsten, gold, cobalt, etc.) In the unlikely event that the company discovers that it is inadvertently using conflict-affected minerals, we immediately take steps toward their non-use.
- We exercise due diligence on the source and chain of custody of these minerals and disclose their due diligence measures upon customers' request.
⑧ Appropriate export management
- We understand laws and regulations of each country and comply with them.
- In import and export of technology and products (such as parts, products, equipment, software) which are regulated by laws, we establish the clear management system and ensure appropriate import and export procedures.
We prevent confidential information and personal information from leak, and strengthen information security system.
① Protection of personal information
- We recognize the importance of personal information of all parties concerned in our business including suppliers, customers, consumers, and employees, and take appropriate and reasonable measures to protect them.
- We comply with privacy and information security laws and regulatory requirements when personal information is collected, managed, stored, disposed of, transmitted, and shared.
② Prevention of leakage of confidential information
- We make sure to prevent any leakage of confidential information that include not only our company's, but also the information received from customers or the third parties to manage and protect appropriately.
③ Protection from cyber attacks
- We ensure to take preventive measures against the threat of cyber-attacks in order not to damage the company and third parties.
（6）Quality and Product Safety
We assure the safety and quality of our products and services, and provide the accurate information.
① Ensuring product safety
- We fulfill responsibility as a producer by designing, manufacturing and selling products that meet the safety standards stipulated by the laws and regulations of each country and ensure sufficient safety.
② Quality control
- We comply with all laws and regulations, our own quality standards, and customer requirements that apply to the quality of our products and services.
③ Provision of accurate information of products and services
- We provide accurate and non-misleading information about our products and services.
In case that our company or our business partner would suffer damage caused by a large-scale natural disaster, in order to fulfill our responsibility to supply we prepare for restarting the production operations as soon as possible.
① Creating BCP and its preparation
- We identify and evaluate the risk which could interfere with our business continuation, investigate its impact on us, and create the business continuity plan (BCP) that consists of our activities and progress regarding our mid-term and long-term necessary countermeasures.
② Maintaining, enhancing, and managing BCP
- We review the progress of our activities on the regular basis, and make efforts for further improvement so that the BCP will be more effective plan.
We build up partnership with our primary suppliers, and work on CSR procurement as a whole supply chain.
① Implementation of CSR procurement united with suppliers
- With our suppliers, we comply with laws and social standards as well as corporate ethics, and promote procurement activities which fulfill social responsibilities in protecting human rights, labor, safety and health, conservation of global environment, and so on.
② Selection and evaluation of suppliers
- In selecting new suppliers, we set CSR and its implementation as its transaction terms, screen them from the perspective of human rights, health and safety labor, conservation of global environment, information security, and after we have confirmed that the supplier satisfies our standards, we start business transaction with the supplier.
And also, we conduct assessment on our existing suppliers as well, and encourage them to improve depending on the evaluation results.
We build up management system to comply the code of conduct of ours, incorporate laws and regulation on products or business, and customer requirements into our business activities, and continuously improve through risk identification and its reduction.
The above mentioned management system includes the followings.
① Company commitment
- To put up or announce in local languages the policy that confirms efforts for compliance and continuous improvement, which has been approved by the executives.
② Accountability and Responsibility of the management
- To clarify the senior executive and representatives of the company who deal with management system and related programs.
- The senior executive shall review the management system on the regular basis to keep situations of the system updated.
③ Legal and customer requirements
- To establish the procedure that enable us to identify, monitor, and understand the applicable laws, regulations, and customer requirements, including requirements described in this regulation.
④ Risk identification and management
- To estimate the relative importance of each risk, and implement management and set physical limit based on appropriate procedures, in order to identify and manage risks and to make sure to comply with laws, regulations, and the codes of conduct.
⑤ Improvement target
- To set the improvement target and create action plan.
- To carry out education, training, and seminars for the purpose of employees' understanding regarding applicable laws and regulations, policies, processes, improvement target, and so on.
- To communicate clear and accurate information to the stakeholders such as policies, requirements, and results.
⑧ Employees participation
- In order to make continuous improvement for the management system, employees are to participate together, their comprehension level or compliance observance situation being evaluated, and feedback provided by them, and so on.
⑨ Auditing and Evaluations
- To carry out regular internal auditing so that laws and regulations, this standards, and customer requirements conformity.
⑩ Corrective action process
- To take corrective actions at the right timing to specific violations which have been identified through internal and external evaluation, testing, inspection, and screening.
⑪ Documentation and recording
- To make sure documentation and store record in order to secure the appropriate confidentiality for compliance, conformity with the social requirements, and privacy protection.
⑫ Management of suppliers
- To inform suppliers of CSR requirements, confirm their situation, and ask for improvement when necessary.